Being a language teacher is not going to make you rich. Unless you open a youtube channel and become a celebrity. Nonetheless, it is surely a job that will bring you some good moments of joy and lots of frustrations. I have always enjoyed being a teacher and had ups and downs in doing so.
My moments of joy have been many and I can list some:
- Meeting interesting and amazing people from all different ‘tribes’.
- Growing knowledge about human intelligence and motivations.
- Preparing fantastic lessons.
- Making unforgettable friendships.
- Good bosses
- Going to great parties.
- Feeling powerful somehow
As for the moments of frustrations, I also can add to the list :
- Poor results with difficult students.
- Angry and impatient parents.
- Challenging and unprepared bosses.
- Not knowing or remembering something that I should.
- Being compared to ‘native speakers’ of English.
- Failing important exams.
- Failing to prepare a fantastic lesson.
- Feeling unappreciated.
- Not going to the best parties because the next day it was teaching day.
What about you? Do you have things to add to the list?
Categories: teaching english